Education Quotes: A Continuous Search for Knowledge and Truth
Education plays an important role in the life of every person, and it has been discussed by many writers, philosophers, and scientists. If you want to find excellent education quotes, you should read this article.
Education Quotes: Understanding the Limitations of Knowledge
Many prominent scientists and thinkers believe that failure to see the limits of one’s own knowledge is the greatest mistake of an educated person. Here are some quotes related to this issue:
- “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” – Stephen Hawking.
- “Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.” – Benjamin Franklin.
- “Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.” – Confucius.
- “Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.” – Will Durant.
- “Education: the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty.” – Mark Twain.
- “There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.” – Joseph Brodsky.
- “I know that I know nothing but some people don’t know even that.” – Socrates.
- “If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.” – Andy McIntyre.
Education Quotes: Teachers and Their Duties
The roles and responsibilities of teachers have been disputed for many centuries. People who look for an excellent education quote can consider the following examples:
- “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires”. – William Arthur Ward.
- “The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery”. Mark van Doren.
- “The best teacher is the one who suggests rather than dogmatizes, and inspires his listener with the wish to teach himself.” – Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
- “Teaching kids to count is fine, but teaching them what counts is best.” – Bob Talbert.
- “I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.” – Socrates.
- “Nine-tenths of education is encouragement.” – Anatole France.
- “Education’s purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.” – Malcolm Forbes.
- “I am not a teacher, but an awakener.” – Robert Frost.
- “The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.” – Plutarch.
- “Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt.” – Paul Anderson.
Education Quotes: The Role of Schools, Colleges, and Universities
If you are looking for good quotes on education, you should pay attention to what famous people said about schools, universities, or colleges. Here are some excellent quotes:
- “Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school.” – Albert Einstein.
- “There are obviously two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live.” – James Adams.
- “A college education should equip one to entertain three things: a friend, an idea and oneself.” – Thomas Ehrlich.
- “The things taught in colleges and schools are not an education, but the means of education.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson.
- “The most important function of the university in an age of reason is to protect reason from itself.” – Alan Bloom.
- “Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune”. – Jim Rohn.
- “The advantage of a classical education is that it enables you to despise the wealth which it prevents you from achieving.” – Russell Green.
So, there are many interesting and even inspirational quotes on learning and teaching. Hopefully, they will help you to better understand the nature and goals of education.