Academic Report Writing: What Students Should Know about It
There are several types of academic writing assignments that students face. Academic report writing has peculiarities that students should know. This article will help you to get the notion about the essence of academic report writing.
Academic report writing requires you to take these steps:
- Identify a problem that requires studying
- Doing a research in order to answer research questions
- Present results of your investigation by means of writing an academic report (and, in many cases, presenting it orally)
To avoid numerous problems with academic report writing, it is important to take the following points into account:
- Read your academic report writing guidelines very attentively and make sure you have not missed some important details; otherwise, you research will be done in vain.
- Consider deadlines. Doing an investigation and writing an academic report takes much time. That is why it is important to plan your work in advance.
- Think about research methods. For your investigation, you need to choose the most appropriate research methods that correspond to the essence and the purpose of your research.
- Before starting your academic report writing, work with sample academic reports that you will find on the Internet. You will get the notion about the peculiarities of academic report writing and have a good example.
Your academic report writing should include answering the following questions:
- Why was doing an investigation necessary?
- What was the purpose of an investigation?
- Which methods were used in an investigation?
- Which data were used?
- How was data analysis fulfilled?
- What do results of your work with the data say to you?
- Which conclusions can be made?
- Which recommendations can you give?
Academic report writing implies using specific writing style:
- Stay formal
- Avoid emotionality (“This problem is incredibly important”), inappropriate approximateness (“More than a half…”)
- Avoid long sentences, but vary sentence structure
Another peculiarity of academic report writing is orientation on a reader. Your report should be clear and easy to read.