A Dissertation Report: the Art of Digesting
It is a well-known fact that dissertations are usually read only by their authors and a small bunch of people who need to read it for their work and professional purposes. Therefore, there is a common rule: every dissertation author writes a small summary called a “dissertation report”.
Thus, today we want to talk about dissertation reports.
Types of dissertation reports
Actually, there are two main purposes of writing a dissertation report, depending on academic institutions, students’ levels, and goals of supervisors.
Students in high schools and colleges are often required to present some proof they did not spent the whole year in vain and idleness. In their case, a dissertation report is a kind of working log of their studies – it is designed to prove that a dissertation was not written in last several weeks.
Students of higher academic levels consider a dissertation report as something very different: something between an outline and a short summary, which can guide the reader through their paper.
Depending on the expectations of your supervisor, your approach to writing the dissertation report should be slightly different.
General tips for writing dissertation reports
- When writing working log dissertation reports, do the following:
- Organize your dissertation report in the form of a schedule on a daily or weekly basis.
- Note down books, web sites and other sources of information used.
- Mention problems that can be researched and are worth investigating further.
- Your approach to making summary dissertation reports should be completely different. Imagine them as a detailed outline, a table of contents organized like a prose text, a paper with its own structure.
- Depict the main purpose of your studies, its subject and application.
- Review some background information: who were your scientific predecessors, mention some milestones of their research, problems they raised.
- Describe your methodology. Do note that you should not be specific as to why and how you used one method or another. After all, every question is in details described in the dissertation itself.
- Finally, make a conclusion with a list of your scientific findings.
Use these tips to prepare your dissertation report so that your project is read as a bestseller.